Beeson Hall was constructed in 1937 with funding from the federal Public Works Administration, and once housed faculty, later a particularly rambunctious group of young men, and even later the Office of University Housing. Beeson was named for J. Luther Beeson, a gentle, scholarly professor of chemistry. He had served on the faculty since 1897 and following the sudden death of President Parks, rather reluctantly but capably took over the reins of governance from 1927 until 1934.
Renovated in 2017, Beeson Hall currently serves as the home of several academic departments in the College of Arts & Sciences.
By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian