Next to Foundation is Parkhurst (2003), an imposing structure that replaced the 1949 Parkhurst Hall that had been occupied by faculty. The first Parkhurst was built with money from the Sylvester Mumford Fund, established by Mumford's daughter, Goertner Parkhurst (1850-1949). Sylvester Mumford was a New York merchant who settled near Waynesville, Ga., and built a stately, antebellum home. The beautiful Goertner Mumford cast a romantic figure in the 1870s as she rode her favorite white stallion through the sand hills and pines of the Brantley County estate. Mrs. Goertner Mumford Parkhurst later used her considerable fortune to support the cause of women's education.
By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian