This large structure, built in 1972 on the southwest corner of the campus, houses the campus dining hall and other facilities that can revive famished spirits. The rather severe, 70s look of Maxwell has been greatly softened by extensive exterior renovation in the late 90s. This vital campus center was named for one of the finest teachers ever to grace this university. Mary Thomas Maxwell (1902-1970) taught in the English Department here from 1939 until 1968.
By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian