Andalusia Farm was purchased by Flannery O’Connor’s uncle, Dr. Bernard Cline, in 1931. Following a diagnosis of lupus in 1951, O’Connor moved to Andalusia to live under the care of her mother Regina Cline O’Connor. During the 13 years she lived at Andalusia, O’Connor completed the bulk of her literary work, as the farm’s environment influenced the setting of many of her writings. Following her death in 1964, the farm remained in the family until 2003 when it was given to a private foundation for use as a museum. In August 2017, the site was gifted to O’Connor’s alma mater, Georgia College.
Today, Andalusia serves as a museum whose mission is to care for, collect, interpret, and exhibit items that illustrate the history of the site during the time which Flannery O’Connor lived on the property (1951-1964). Andalusia is open for public tours and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. A Visitor’s Center is scheduled to open in early 2023.
Credit Line: Andalusia: Home of Flannery O'Connor