Skip to main content

Georgia College History: Adams Hall

Adams Hall Today

Adams Hall

Adams Hall Architectural Rendering

Adams Hall Architectural Rendering

History

Across the street on the opposite corner, Adams Hall (2004) replaced the 1966 Adams Hall. The proximity of Wells and Adams is appropriate, since Ethel Adams, appointed dean of women in 1935, worked closely with Wells throughout his presidency. This energetic and gracious woman from Griffin established and perpetuated many of the college's most cherished traditions.  The annual hike to the banks of the Oconee remained a favorite, as did the Halloween Carnival in Nesbit Woods.

In 1935, Adams initiated the most vital tradition of all. The freshmen and sophomore classes, aided by juniors and seniors, began vying to produce the best skits and dances. The winning class received a little gold-plated shoe known as the Golden Slipper. These productions became more and more elaborate, and, from 1935 to 1972, nothing better expressed the sense of sisterhood and community at this college than Golden Slipper. 

If the spirit of Dean Adams pervades Adams Hall, it is a very special place indeed.

By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian