The documents comprising the collection of the Georgia College Alumni Association focuses on the period of history when the university was an all female institution. The collection covers five different name changes beginning with Georgia Normal and Industrial College (GN&IC) in 1889. In 1922, the name changed to Georgia State College for Women (GSCW) and in 1961 the name changed again to the Women's College of Georgia (WCG). The College became co-educational in 1967 which prompted another name change to Georgia College at Milledgeville (GCM) and another change in 1971 to Georgia College (GC).
The dates included in the collection range from 1890 to 1993. In 1996, the college became THE LIBERAL ARTS COLLEGE of Georgia and the name changed to Georgia College & State University (GCSU). The titles of alumna and alumnae and alumnus and alumni are used in the appropriate time period.
The Alumni Association papers are available, without restriction, to all qualified researchers.
COMPILED BY CHARLOTTE C BARE, 1999