The construction of Lanier Hall was personally supervised by President Marvin Parks in 1925 and 1926. Classroom space was badly needed after fire destroyed the Old Main Building in 1924. It was first known as the New Classroom Building and, later Arts Hall. In the 1950s, Arts Hall was re-named after central Georgia's renowned poet, Sidney Lanier. No longer used for classrooms, Lanier now houses an array of services.
By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian