Skip to main content

Georgia College History: Bell Hall

Bell Hall Today

Bell Hall

Bell Hall 1938

Miller Bell Hall, Georgia State College for Women, Milledgeville, Ga. - Front Side

History

Constructed in 1928, this large residence hall, now the central residence of the Honors students, was named for Miller S. Bell, a strong supporter of Marvin Parks. Bell served as mayor of Milledgeville from 1908 until 1924, matching his friend Parks in his energy and determination to bring the old town into the 20th Century. In 1908 he was named a member of the board of directors for the college, and was later appointed to the Board of Regents. (one must sadly note that Miller Bell's picture disappeared during the last Bell Hall renovation)

By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian