Chappell Hall was constructed in 1963 on the site of an earlier and much more elegant Chappell (1907) that had deteriorated. The current Chappell houses a multitude of campus agencies. Both Chappells were named for our first president – J. Harris Chappell. Chappell (1850-1906) introduced a strong, liberal arts component into the curriculum of Georgia Normal & Industrial College, the major purpose of which had been to train young women to be clerks, secretaries and teachers.
By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian