Skip to main content

Georgia College History: Sanford Hall

Sanford Hall Today

Sanford Hall

Sanford Hall Postcard

Sanford Hall, Georgia State College for Women, Milledgeville, Ga.- Front Side

History

East of Wells Hall, Sanford Hall, erected in 1938, has been carefully renovated, preserving its fine architecture while upgrading the facilities. The hall was judiciously named for Steadman V. Sanford (1871-1945), president of the University of Georgia (1932-1935) and Chancellor of the University System from 1935 until his death in 1945. Chancellor Sanford (who also has the football stadium at UGA named after him) was a towering figure in the expansion of higher education in Georgia and a good friend of President Wells and GSCW. 

By Dr. Bob Wilson, University Historian